Edelbrock L300

Discuss everything about the Tripower induction.
63lc58mk3
Airman basic

Edelbrock L300

Post by 63lc58mk3 » Sat 10. Mar 2012, 15:46

Hello, I'm a newbie when it comes to tripower, I recently picked up one of this with no carbs and it has been drilled and hogged so it can take 3 or 4 bolt base carbs, I took it with a local guy a friend of a friend that rebuilts carbs for a look and said i could use rochesters or holley 94's, of course there's much more than just carbs, doing a little search here I'm a little confused on how they work is it vacuum operated or progressive? are all the carbs the same or the outboards different? can i use the holley 94's? I will post pics when I get a chance, just wanna know more about this beacuse I know this set ups can be tricky.

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Re: Edelbrock L300

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Sat 10. Mar 2012, 19:27

The middle carburetor is the only one that has idle and choke circuits. The two outer carburetors are 'dumpers' that advance as the linkage asks them to. While the three carburetors may total over 1000 CFM , this is not an indication of comparison between a four barrel carburetor and a tri power.

How the vacuum advance works is not my area, since my own tri power is marine, and is a mechanical.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

63lc58mk3
Airman basic

Post by 63lc58mk3 » Mon 12. Mar 2012, 12:40

Thanks for the info, would holley 94's would be a good carb to use? What carb would be best for this intake, I'm not building a race engine or anything like that just going after looks.

58-Pagoda
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by 58-Pagoda » Wed 18. Apr 2012, 15:17

This might help and should give you some ideas by comparison to what Ford had developed. As people have explained to me, the secondaries are held closed by a spring in the diaphragms mounted on the carb bodies. When vacuum is strong enough to overcome those, they begin to open which is supposed to be around 40 mph and also at wide open throttle. There are also vacuum balance tubes connecting all the carbs. People with first-hand experience at WOT have described this setup as all hell breaking loose and fearing it would break loose the rear end ('58 Lincoln) so you probably wouldn't want to engage it all the time and why a vacuum setup might be favored.
29 (5-9-58) 1x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) 2x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) 3x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) 4x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) 5x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) 6x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) B 1x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) B 2x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) B 3x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) B 4x.JPG

58-Pagoda
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by 58-Pagoda » Wed 18. Apr 2012, 15:19

29 (5-9-58) B 5x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) B 6x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) B 7x.JPG
29 (5-9-58) B 8x.JPG

Adding some additional content from the 1959 Service Bulletin that was brought to my attention by Joe Paulus. Thank you!
Lincoln_1959_Service_Bulletinx.JPG
Lincoln_1959_Service_Bulletin_2x.JPG
Last edited by 58-Pagoda on Mon 10. Sep 2012, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

63lc58mk3
Airman basic

Post by 63lc58mk3 » Fri 20. Apr 2012, 01:24

Looks like I have some reading to do, Thanks for the info.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 20. Apr 2012, 04:53

Very cool info. Thanx bunches. Moved it into this section.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Wowcars
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: Radio

Post by Wowcars » Mon 12. Nov 2012, 11:01

I put this same manifold on a '55 F-100 a couple of years ago running a '58 Maurader 430. We ran it with 3 Rochester 2G's. Chris Craft Crazy is correct in that only the center carb has idle and choke circuits. It was a VERY strong setup with progressive linkage from Weiand or Eelco. The carbs we ran were the small base 2G's with side inlets. Lots of 2G's have forward facing fuel inlets and makes it difficult to run on a multi carb setup. I'm a big fan of the Rochesters and am gathering 6 of them for my 430.

58-Pagoda
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by 58-Pagoda » Mon 12. Nov 2012, 14:38

Here's an item of interest from the Sept 1958 Motor Trend that someone kindly sent me. Don Francisco had one of these setups dealer-installed on a '58 Mercury and then proceeded to test it. He explains how the linkage worked in real-life and how letting off the throttle was like stomping on the brakes.

Throttle linkage follows the trend set by three-carburetor setups on General Motors cars: the throttle pedal controls only the throttle valves in the middle carburetor. All normal driving can be done with this carburetor alone. Throttle valves in the end carburetors are opened by vacuum diaphragms—one for each carburetor—that are actuated by vacuum created by the air flow velocity in the middle carburetor. This divorces the end carburetors completely from the driver’s control, and when they open they open all the way. Vacuum-controlled throttle valves amount to an automatic control of two thirds of the engine’s carburetion—to prevent their throttle valves from being opened at low speeds when the carburetors aren’t needed.

Operation of the throttle linkage during the test followed the plan to the last decimal point but there was one thing about it that I didn’t like. This was the lack of control of the closing speed of the throttle valves in the end carburetors. Under certain conditions the rapid closing of the valves has almost the same effect on the passengers as jumping on the brake pedal. This was most noticeable when passing other vehicles traveling at highway cruising speeds. At normal cruising speeds the throttle valves in the end carburetors are closed but the car accelerates so quickly when the throttle pedal is depressed to pass another car or a truck that its speed quickly reached the point where the end carburetors open. This doesn’t cause any discomfort because all that happens when the throttles open is that the rate of acceleration increases. When the throttle is lifted slightly to allow the car to slow to normal speed again, the valves in the end carburetors snap closed, causing more deceleration than anticipated and throwing the passengers forward in their seats. Actually this quick throttle closing condition is a minor detail in an otherwise highly satisfactory setup. But if I were fortunate enough to own a car with a Super Marauder engine, one of the first things I would do to it would be to install full-mechanical progressive throttle linkage on its carburetors.

During the acceleration tests it was extremely difficult to get the car off the starting line without breaking its rear tires loose. Once spinning, they would stay loose unless pressure was eased off the throttle. This was with the transmission in Maximum Performance Range. In this range the car starts in low gear and then shifts to second and high. In Cruising Range the car would get off without wheel-spin because it started in second gear with only a slight loss of speed at the end of the quarter-mile. Acceleration times for 0-45, 0-60, and the quarter mile suffered less than anticipated when Cruising Range was used.

Accel tests.JPG

Return to “The MEL Engine Tripower Heaven”