58 Merc Park Lane Super Marauder -- Part VII Final Assembly

Discuss everything about the Tripower induction.
scatpack
Airman basic

58 Merc Park Lane Super Marauder -- Part VII Final Assembly

Post by scatpack » Mon 5. Sep 2011, 12:08

Finally the restoration process for the entire Super Marauder system is complete. Next this system will be the installed onto a 1958 Mercury Parklane. Stay tuned for the final posting.
Attachments
IMG_3958 II.jpg
Rear view intake manifold assembly after restoration.
IMG_3959 II.jpg
Left side view of intake manifold assembly. Carburetor linkage installed & adjuster per Mercury Service Bulletin.
IMG_4076 II.jpg
Center carburetor vacuum distribution fitting -- feeding each outer carburetor's vacuum secondary diaphragm.
IMG_4082 II.jpg
Left side view of intake manifold assembly. All carburetor and intake fittings installed. New air cleaning mounting studs & gaskets installed.
IMG_4083 II.jpg
Top view of intake manifold assembly.
IMG_4085 II.jpg
Air cleaner installed - restoration complete. Note thin fiber washers were installed under the wing nuts in order to protect the red painted surfaces.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 58 Merc Park Lane Super Marauder -- Part VII Final Assem

Post by Theo » Mon 5. Sep 2011, 22:33

Very sweet.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Tue 6. Sep 2011, 14:52

Were did you get this set up I want one bad!!! Will it fit Mel 430?'

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Wed 7. Sep 2011, 17:33

Dave, if you read through this section, you will find that what is being described is the original tripower package for the MEL 430 engine that propelled it to become the first production V8 engine to hit 400 horsepower. The numbers for the original manifold vary, but it would seem that less than 1000 is a good guess. The air cleaner assembly, along with the manifold and numbers correct holley carburetors is worth between three and five thousand dollars, and maybe more depending on how bad someone wants it, and whether the assembly is restored. There is a replica of the air cleaner being made, and it sells for 3000 dollars all by itself. VERY rare stuff.

Thanks for the tutorial Scat, great work.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Wed 7. Sep 2011, 18:18

So.... Were do I get one?
I understand all that I'm new to this site I like all the feedback you guys have some way over my head (sorry) but I would love to learn!
I understand it's all rare stuff that's what attracted me to my 1663 Lincoln iv wanted one since I was 10!
I don't realy want my car custom but original but they did put out a 3x2 on the Lincoln (right) and I want one it looks good
So any help finding me one would be appreciated!!!
And my fist post was just... Well you me being a kid in a candy store wanting something that I probably never have
Mabe do ate me the one in the pic

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 7. Sep 2011, 19:16

David, they show up from time to time on ebay. Usually separate pieces. As stated above they are pricey, and in the 20+ years I've had my Lincoln's I've only seen a handful of complete set ups.

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 7. Sep 2011, 19:25

Scat your posts are priceless! I'm hoping that both my Mercury & Lincoln Tripowers will be installed in the next 3-4 years. They've been in the crates for way to long.....

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 09:00

Well yea iv been up and down eBay and I am prepared to pay the price!
Well Thanx for the help.... Sure hope I'm welcome here I think I can learn Alot from some of you
I have two 430 motors ones a 63 and a 59 I was thinking of selling the 59 but the way you make it sound
I should just keep it and the trans?!
Thanx again for the help I'll prob have a lot more to ask when or if I ever get that 3x2 set up!

scatpack
Airman basic

Post by scatpack » Mon 12. Sep 2011, 18:16

I'm glad the postings were helpful. Frankly MEL engines are so overlooked and have such little information posted on the web that the MEL Forum in general is an excellent resource for anyone interested in or working with this engine family. As such I thought adding the Super Marauder restoration process would be appreciated. I never found too many images of this intake system ever posted anywhere. I still have a few more images to add.

As for finding a Super Marauder set-up, all I can say is be patient. You may not always find a complete setup (intake to air cleaner), so be willing to build a set up piece by piece. Unfortunately Super Marauder systems are not as common as the FE tri-power system, but that only increases their desirability and uniqueness.

During the winter I hope to complete a Lincoln marauder set-up which is planned to be installed on a 58' Edsel Citation convertible. The plain Lincoln air cleaner will look perfect on the 410.

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Mon 12. Sep 2011, 19:47

Well said....im sure being patient will pay off but as for now I'll just build it with what I have I'm sure I'll still get what I want out of it.
And yes your right this forum is very helpful and with guys like you letting me look at the posibilities I didn't know I can do to my Mel Thanx look forward to see the completion of that engine.
I do have a question for you.....
What is the difference between the tripower set up and what you have there? Besides caust

Return to “The MEL Engine Tripower Heaven”