M-E-L Engine powered Mercury Car General Discussion
LandCruiser
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: A little bit guitar, that i build by my own

First long ride.

Post by LandCruiser » Wed 18. Apr 2012, 08:12

And again a maybe stupid question.
My first ride will be next week and it will take me on o 600miles trip to brin the car home. The car goes on a testdrive, with the mechanic who fixed it right now the next two days into the alpes.
Are there any tips how to drive the car home?
I am in the Automobile Club and in the worth case they bring me home, but it would be much more nice to do it on own wheels.
Thanks
Tom

58-Pagoda
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Re: First long ride.

Post by 58-Pagoda » Wed 18. Apr 2012, 12:19

5000 lbs. car, 600 miles trip, maiden voyage, the Alpes :shock: You are braver than me.

I would need great confidence in the cooling and braking systems before making such a trip.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 20. Apr 2012, 05:17

58-Pagoda wrote:5000 lbs. car, 600 miles trip, maiden voyage, the Alpes :shock: You are braver than me.

I would need great confidence in the cooling and braking systems before making such a trip.
What he said. Absolutely second this important remark. Tom, this car was not build for the alps, neither for moderate hills like those around Heidelberg. Take it from someone who has already been there.

1. The old radiator is commonly insufficient and usually dirty with loads of grime inside. Even with my brand new high quality recored 4 row radiator you'll need to pray, especially on what you're going for.

2. And most important the brakes. On my trip to the Heidelberg Heiligenberg those 4 X drum brakes of my 62 T Bird although in perfect rebuild condition started to glow like hell. Even with the first gear fixed driving downhill became a mission of desperation, hope and prayers. Not only that I suffered almost smoke poisoning while the brakes started to self-cannibalize, no....the damn car didn't want to adequately brake.

I tried to help myself by applying the parking brake (not the one in the collumn shift lever) as the brake fluid started to boil and also drove sharp slalom to reduce the car's speed.
Also keep in mind that the carb is going to deliver a fatter fuel / air mixture the more you klimb up those hills.

That's basically what 58-Pagoda said. I only applied the drama.
Good luck. My prayers are with you.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 20. Apr 2012, 05:22

Make sure nobody sits in the rear of the car. Those suicide doors are no good if the passanger feels to jump out right before the car decides to leave the serpentines.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

LandCruiser
Airman
Airman

Post by LandCruiser » Sat 21. Apr 2012, 09:17

You missunderstand what i wrote.
The Mechanic makes the testdrive into the Alpes and i talked to him 1 hour ago. every thing ist fine. Only the carb is making little problems . he will fix it until next weekend.
Then i ride the car from south Germany to Hamburg. i will go alongside the Rhein.
And my 66 has discbrakes in front.
I will be very careful and i will have an eye on the temperature.

LandCruiser
Airman
Airman

Post by LandCruiser » Wed 9. May 2012, 10:00

Hey Guys,
My Linc made it home on his own wheels. It was a 750 miles ride and without problems, exept 1 stop because of too much fuel at the sparks we said "abgesoffen" That was a user mistake.
All the way up to Hamburg was so fantastic and the fuelsonsuption is 13,6 Liter/100Km so its 17 mpg that is brilliant.
And this Motor , the 462 is so smoth and exelent running. and its starts perfekt.
Im so happy abot the Car.
Attachments
DSC01238.jpg

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 9. May 2012, 11:41

LandCruiser wrote:............and the fuelsonsuption is 13,6 Liter/100Km so its 17 mpg that is brilliant.
And this Motor , the 462 is so smoth and exelent running. and its starts perfekt.
Im so happy abot the Car.
Looks great on the Ferry. Is it the River Rhine you're crossing? Your milage seems very optimistic. There must be a mistake in the math. This milage usually stands for much smaller modern fuel injected cars with some hp.
My 62 T-Bird has a 14 l / 100 Km milage on a perfectly set up 390 w. an Edelbrock RV type cam. Anyway if your milage figures out to be that good, that would be sensational.
Hamburg is not far away from Berlin. I'll give you a ring once I visit Hamburg.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

LandCruiser
Airman
Airman

Post by LandCruiser » Wed 9. May 2012, 14:48

you are right, its the Rhein at Rüdesheim.
The Fuelconsumption ist unbelivable, but i calculate it 3 times. I drove a mix out of small highways, Freeways citys and vilages not faster than 70 miles per hour. I call it cruising.
If you are in Hamburg give me a call.

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 9. May 2012, 15:06

Congratulations on a successful first run! I bet you were approached by a lot of people asking questions and admiring your car. I know with my cars I'm lucky to get out of the fueling station in 15 minutes because of folks wanting photos or wanting to talk about the car.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 9. May 2012, 16:10

Ha ha, that's exactly how it is Rick. I've met a lot of good people through my car. Sometimes it's time consuming in the wrong moment but mostly a good thing to go through.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Cars General Discussion”