Steve is right with his comments, I've seen several top executives use high powered laptops as their prime business tool, sometimes with the addition of a mouse for convenience. They have the power, speed, and storage capacity of the old towers and then some, and just because they're small does not mean they are not with big capabilities.
Steve's comment about being able to sit on the couch and discuss things with your wife, and also watch TV while surfing the web is also quite true, as I did this evening. I'm keeping 4 other computers in service, 3 other Dells and a Gateway 2000, for backup, storage capabilities, and various utility functions. This new D830 may eventually take over my prime business load as well, which is presently being handled by a networked desk top tower version. It just depends upon which one seems to work the best.
My limited experience with the D830 is all good. The keyboard is big enough to type without feeling cramped in any way, the screen is huge, and although it's not the lighest laptop around, it appears to be a workhorse that will provide long and faithful service. Battery life is around 5-hours. Based on my experience to date, I would have to recommend one. I'm sure there are other manufacturers who are building equally good or better machines, but my experience with this one is all good so far.
The best news of all, is a laptop like this with mobil broadband capabililty, can be taken aboard your Commander and used anywhere, any time, whether or not there is a hard line connection, wireless, or whatever. Laptops of this kind are sure to find their way aboard boats, just like Chris Wade's shown below!
Regards,
Paul